Useful City Code Information
- What are some of the main safety regulations for railing installations?
To assure safety on residential and commercial properties, every city has building codes that we strongly recommend you review and comply with. Even if your property is not going through inspection (renovations, flips, etc.), a code-compliant railing system can be a good asset in case you ever decide to sell. Here are some important requirements and guidelines for railing projects throughout Los Angeles County:
- If you have a drop of at least 30in. on the other side of your guardrail, the code requires a fence of at least 42in. from the base floor surface;
- Glass panels must be tempered to withstand severe weather and must be connected to each other;
- Glass thickness cannot be lower than 1/4in. L.A. Railings recommends 1/2in. thick panels for most installations; however, 3/8in. panels can be safe enough for some circumstances. We work with premium high-quality tempered panels only. We also offer different finishes for glasshe panels, but we'll never provide glass panels that do not meet our own standards of quality and strength, which also meet and surpass the strict building codes of the City of Los Angeles.
For cable or rods:
- The distance between each cable or rod cannot exceed 4in. in any part of the installation, even if a pulling force equivalent to a 50lb weight is applied to it. We recommend that cables be spaced about 3in. from each other. For rods, the nominal 4in. distance is enough since there's no deflection on tubes and bars.
- What are the main regulations for handrails?
- According to local codes, any stairway with four risers or more requires at least one handrail. The surface of the handrail must be graspable, it can't be closer than 1-1/2in. from the wall, must be between 34in. to 38in. high from the nose of the thread and needs to withstand loads of at least 200 pounds in any direction. And, if the width of your stairs is larger than 44in., you'll need handrails on both sides.
- What are the main regulations for cable railing installations?
- The basic standards for a cable railing installations are the same as other railing standards; however, since you have space between cables, the distance between the cables or rods, by code, cannot exceed 4in. in any part of the installation, even if a pulling force equivalent to a 50lb weight is applied to it. We recommend that cables be spaced about 3in. from each other. For rods, the nominal 4in. distance is enough since there's no deflection on tubes and bars. The distance between posts can't be excessive either, so deflection of cables don't become a factor. This rule was created and is enforced mainly to protect children who are naturally playful and curious.
- Pricing: Why does it vary?
There are a number of reasons why a modern railing installation can vary so much in price. From quality of hardware to the cost of labor, the price per linear foot installed can vary sometimes as much as 400%! Low prices (per linear foot) are generally linked to simple but large installations on flat level areas with easy access and without use of costly accessories and connectors. On the other hand, smaller projects and more challenging installations with expensive materials (like angled glass for stairs or special-cut panels, special and custom glass finishes or hardware, use of many connectors and rare/hard-to-find accessories, fascia-mount railings on surfaces that are tough to access, etc.), can easily increase the price per linear foot. Make sure you contact us to get a free estimate for your project. We'll gladly answer all your questions to help you make a more informed decision. And, remember that our high-quality systems are priced competitively; in fact, we generally beat any qualified competitor's detailed offer using comparable hardware and workmanship.
If you have any other questions or concerns about our systems, please get in touch with us over the phone, or send us an email at
Call now for a free estimate.
We provide all the hardware, delivery and expert installation. We offer great prices and top-quality right here in the Los Angeles area!Contact us